Hurricane Matthew Update
Published 30th September 2016, 8:36am
The National Hurricane Center in Miami Florida is issuing advisories on Hurricane Matthew. Which at 8:00 AST was located at 13.8N 70.3W or about 520 miles ESE of Kingston, Jamaica. Matthew is moving west at 14 mph with maximum sustained winds of 105 mph.
Residents are urged to pay close attention to this system due to its forecast path and potential for further development. Further information on this system is available at www.nhc.noaa.gov.
• The current forecast track places Hurricane Matthew well to the east of the Cayman Islands but the storm should still be monitored closely.
• All residents should aim to have a three day supply of non-perishable food. Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation, or cooking and little or no water.
• All residents should store some bottled water at all times. Your hurricane supply kit should have a minimum of 3 gallons of water for each person in the home.
• All residents should have a plan for where they will ride out a hurricane, especially if their property is in a low lying area or close to the coastline where storm surge and / or battering waves could make their home a dangerous environment to stay in (during a hurricane).
• Additional information about shelter locations and other recommended items for your emergency supply kit can be found on www.caymanprepared.gov.ky The Hurricane Preparedness Booklet is also available in the racks on the ground floor reception area of the Government Administration Building.