Eta 4 p.m. Update
Published 6th November 2020, 6:13pm
The Cayman Islands National Weather Service is advising that Tropical Depression Eta is currently over the waters of the Gulf of Honduras and is expected to move northeast across the Caribbean Sea today, and strengthen to a possible Tropical Storm and track about 53 miles to the NW of Grand Cayman on Saturday evening, 95 miles NW of Cayman Brac by late Saturday night. On its current forecast path, Eta is expected to bring tropical storm force winds over the Cayman Islands from Saturday afternoon through early Sunday morning.
According to the National Hurricane Center (At 4 p.m.) Eta was located at 17.3 N 86.5 W or about 375 miles west to southwest of Grand Cayman with maximum winds of 35 mph and is moving north at 7 mph.
A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE CAYMAN ISLANDS.
A FLOOD WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE CAYMAN ISLANDS.
A MARINE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE CAYMAN ISLANDS FOR TONIGHT AND SATURDAY. ALL SMALL CRAFT SHOULD SEEK AND REMAINS IN SAFE HABOUR FROM TONIGHT.
Emergency shelters are on standby to be activated should the need arise as a result of localised flooding.
Hazard Management Cayman Islands is recommending residents take the following actions:
· Exercise increased caution on flooded roads. Excessive rain has led to numerous potholes opening up, and the flood waters make these more difficult to detect. Periods of torrential rainfall will result in limited visibility on the roads. Residents are encouraged to limit travel on the roads to essential journeys from Friday afternoon and into Saturday.
· A Marine Advisory is in effect and vessels should remain in safe harbour. Extremely rough seas are forecast (especially for Saturday: 8 to 12 feet) and these waves will impact the west coast of Grand Cayman on the weekend. Residents should exercise extreme caution near these waves to avoid being swept into the water.
• For the latest weather updates, visit www.weather.gov.ky
• For tips on preparing for severe weather, visit www.caymanprepared.ky
• For the latest government news and updates, visit www.gov.ky/all-news
• For all government office closures and other bulletin board notices, visit www.gov.ky/news/noticeboard